Anyone who plans to install a new floor in their home is in for a challenging task. The good news is that using a flooring calculator can make this task a lot easier. Whether you plan to install flooring for your new home or you want to change the flooring of your current residence, this flooring or carpet calculator will help you out in a big way.
How to use the flooring calculator?
Instead of manually calculating the measurements you need for your flooring, this online flooring estimator does the job for you. With it, you simply input a few values and it performs the calculation for you instantly. Here are the steps to follow:
- First, enter the value of the Room Length and choose the unit of measurement from the drop-down menu.
- Next, enter the value of the Room Width and choose the unit of measurement from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, enter the value of the Cost of Material and choose the unit of measurement from the drop-down menu.
- After entering all of the required values, the flooring calculator automatically generates the value of the Room Area and the Total Cost. This is why it’s also known as a flooring cost calculator.
How do I calculate how much flooring I need?
Before you order your flooring, you must know exactly how much material you need. To do this, follow these steps:
- Take the measurements of the whole room. Measure the width, the length, and round up the values to the nearest inch.
- Multiply the room’s length by its width to get the measurement of the room in square footage.
- After taking the measurements, you can now order your flooring materials. Find out the size of each tile or sheet of the flooring you plan to purchase to calculate how much you need.
- You may also perform a calculation to find out how much extra material you should purchase to account for any waste while you install the flooring. For this purpose, you can add about 5% or 10% to the total.
How many boxes of laminate flooring will I need?
It’s quite simple to calculate how much laminate flooring you require even without using a flooring or carpet calculator. Of course, the first step is always to take the measurements of your room. Follow these steps then use the flooring estimator to check your calculations and ensure accuracy:
- Measure the dimensions of your room to get the square footage.
- Add around 10% to the value you compute to accommodate for any waste and cuts upon installation. If you’re going with a tile pattern, you may want to add more. You don’t have to worry about having excess after installation because you can use this for repairs or replacements in the future.
- After taking the measurements and performing the calculations, use the flooring or carpet cost calculator to find out if you performed the calculations correctly and how much all of the materials would cost you.
The number of boxes you need for laminate flooring depends upon the type of flooring you choose, the size of each sheet, and the size of your room.
How do you calculate vinyl plank flooring?
Vinyl plank flooring is quite popular because it’s relatively cheap, it’s durable, and it’s easy to install. Taking the measurements of your room isn’t that much of a challenge but you also have to perform calculations for this. If you have a square or rectangular room, you can easily use the flooring estimator to find out how much you need.
But if you have an irregularly-shaped room, measuring it can be a bit more challenging. It’s not impossible to do this. Here are some steps to guide you for measuring such a space for your vinyl plank flooring installation:
- First, try to sketch the shape of the room to scale. Then divide the sketch into semi-circles, triangles, rectangles, and squares. Later on, you can perform the appropriate calculations using these shapes.
- As you measure the room, don’t include the walls. Just measure the dimensions of the shapes you sketched in the first step. If there’s a wall which is part of two different shapes, measure the sections individually.
- After sketching and measuring, it’s time to perform the required calculations. Do this by solving for the areas of each of the shapes on your sketch. For the squares and rectangles, multiply their width by their length. For the triangles, multiply the base of the shape by its height and divide it by two. Keep performing these calculations until you’ve solved for the area of all the shapes.
- Now comes the easy part. Add all of the areas you calculated together. This gives you the total area of the room in square-inches or whatever unit of measurement you used.
After getting the total area, you can now inquire about the sizes of the vinyl plank flooring available in your local hardware shop. Based on the size of the flooring you choose, you can calculate how much you need using the flooring calculator which doubles as a flooring cost calculator.
How much does it cost to replace a floor in a house?
As soon as you determine how much flooring you need, you can either call the shop in advance or proceed there to take a look at their options. Either way, you should have your measurements and calculations with you so you know exactly how much to order.
When it comes to the cost of replacing your flooring, you can either calculate this manually or use the flooring or carpet cost calculator to do the calculations for you. For instance, the flooring material you want costs 5 $/m2. Now that you know how much each sheet or piece costs, it’s easier for you to estimate how much you’d spend for the whole room.
You can also ask the supplier about the best flooring options which fit within your budget. Even if you have your eye on a specific type of flooring if it causes you to break the bank, consider choosing something else. In the end, the choice of flooring is up to you.